Thursday, March 22, 2012

So happy 3 year anniversary of Ranger Recaps, guys! It's been a heck of a ride so far. I'm looking forward to the next five or so years! In celebration of making it three years on this blog, we're doing something a little different. For this recap, we watched the first episode of Saban's VR Troopers.

I haven't watched this show since it aired. And now I remember why. Technology really doesn't work that way. It doesn't now, it didn't then, and I don't think it ever will or could. That pretty much sums up the episode. It's Tron meets Power Rangers, minus the coolness of Power Rangers and the super awesome subtle messages of Tron (for the record, I LOVE Tron, one of my favourite movies... did the technology storyline WAY better). It even has the Daddy-Stuck-In-The-Computer Angsty-Son thing, only done very very poorly. Oh, and JB is really super hot. That's about all I got out of this show.

In keeping with the chatlog theme, here's what we talked about during this episode.

TSB: This themesong is SUCH an earworm
QR: oh the theme song
TSB: also, Ryan Steele? STILL HOT
QR: really?
Oh look! We start off with Daddy Angst!
TSB: HE HAS SO MUCH
QR: He does.
He... is not really my type, actually. I don't find him exceptionally attractive.
Although, DOG! IN A DOJO!
TSB: I just approve of all the sparring
I am glad that this didn't end up a JDF vehicle, though!
QR: this is something all Saban's shows should have more of
there. HE is so my type
TSB: JB IS ALSO HOT
QR: THIS WHOLE CAST IS PRETTY
oh the fashion!!!!
TSB: YESSSSSSSSSSS
AHAHA WOODY
One day
I will convince someone to write me the fic where Kaitlyn hangs out with Lois Lane
and reporter!Kimberly
QR: she should!
that fic needs to exist
How old are these guys supposed to be?
TSB: college, I think
QR: nice bikes for college kids
TSB: it's never really explained
QR: piddly little protesters
I actually kind of like that skirt...
ARMS
Why is JB not showing his arms?
TSB: That... is not how demolition works, really
hi Ryan's arms
QR: poor iguana
they don't like being held like that
TSB: I love Zitkor and his ridiculous iguana
Speaking of things that don't work that way, VIRTUAL REALITY
QR: that... is not how virtual reality works
hah
OMG LOOK AT THE COMPUTER
TSB: YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY? COMPUTERS
QR: shhhhhh
OH THE DRAMA
NOT HOW ANY OF THIS WORKS OMG
TSB: NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY SENES
SENSE EVEN
Although I love Grimlord's design
QR: yes!
This is like Tron, only without the super clever subtle messages
it's like they tried to make Tron into Power Rangers, and it really failed horribly
TSB: I've never figured out how the monsters cross back and forth
like, I thought they were confined to virtual reality, mostly?
is virtual reality supposed to be an alternate dimension?
or?
QR: I have no idea
TSB: And who thought the dog was a good idea?
Also, who thought those SHORTS were a good idea, KAITLYN?
QR: the dog is clearly smarter than the rest of them
TSB: I approve of Ryan's hair
I just need to point that out
QR: ha
TSB: wait, if they had to cross the bridge, how did they find the gateway?
QR: portal or gateway? IT"S A BIG TRIANGLE
TSB: How has nobody else noticed the portal?
QR: It looks nothing like a portal or a gateway
TSB: WHY WOULD YOU WALK INTO A BIG TRIANGLE THING
QR: maybe part of a Stargate, but not a whole gate
WITH A DISEMBODIED VOICE
TSB: .... I want the Stargate AU
QR: the blinky lights! This is clearly scientifically advanced because there are LOTS OF BLINKY LIGHTS
TSB: Really, a guy in a computer is talking to you, and "WHERE'S MY DAD" is the first question?
QR: THIS IS NOT HOW THIS WORKS
TSB: my first question would be "WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?"
Is this supposed to be the internet? Or something?
QR: this is... I don't know what this is supposed to be
TSB: if he's trying to break through the barrier, HOW IS HE ALREADY SENDING THINGS THROUGH?
And how did they know there would be 2 friends?
Those suits? Still the ugliest
QR: this show makes no sense
TSB: nope
but Ryan has great hair
it is floppy
QR: and JB is super hot
TSB: Yes
I really want one of those necklaces
QR: hahaha
TSB: they're pretty!
Man, he's a worse mentor than Zordon
QR: you'll know everything if you just know the morphing call!
he sucks
THIS IS RIDICULOUS
TSB: You know, when I was a kid, I didn't always notice the repeat footage in PR
But I REALLY noticed it in VR Troopers
QR: I rarely did
half the time I still don't, honestly
they were far less careful with this show, I think.
TSB: well, they were also combining 2 shows into 1
QR: were they really?
TSB: they did a much better job with Beetleborgs
yep!
QR: I was never as big into VR Troopers as I was with Power Rangers
my things were Power Rangers and Mystic Knights
TSB: Ryan came from a show with a solo hero, and JB and Kaitlyn were hero and sidekick, I think?
QR: wow
TSB: that's why they always split up
QR: I see
OMG THE COMPUTERS
It goes to show how boring that fight was if we spent the whole time talking about the origination shows...
oh no, cliffhanger!
TSB: Oh no!
QR: I'm sure he'll be fine

No comments:

Post a Comment