Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Brief Interlude

It's Power Morphicon weekend! I'm sure a large group of our readers are currently there, hanging out with the Rangers, having a blast. We're even down one recapper this weekend, with enjoying herself immensely surrounded by fellow PR fans and all the people that made that magical show happen.

So what am I doing posting to the community? I'm NOT at Power Morphicon, much as I wish I was. And I felt the need to update about something very special, something I hold very near and dear to my heart.

David Yost.

That's right, David Yost. I'm sure we've all seen the truly amazing interview he granted No Pink Spandex.

I've watched it three times now and tears spring to my eyes each and every time. This man deserves all the hugs in the world. ALL of them. These pictures? Take on an entirely different meaning than they did before. My heart just breaks for him.

I know, for quite some time, rumours ran amuk about David Yost, his personality, his outlook on the show. Frankly, I think he deserves to be a little bitter about the time spent on Power Rangers, considering all he went through. But that's neither here nor there. I'm not here to talk about the interview. I'm not here to talk about his former perceived personality. No. I'm here to talk about the man himself and what he brought to the show.

Billy was my favourite, from the very moment he walked on the screen in his big round glasses with his fly away blonde hair, ready for his first karate class. He really won me over with the overalls, with the techno-babble, with his inability to relate to others easily. He was cripplingly shy, like me. He was bullied, like me. He was powerless to stop the world from hating him being himself, like me. My 12 year old self fell in love, right from the get go. And now, 17 years later, my 29 year old self is still in love. Billy is, and always will be, my favourite ranger.

Even as he evolved from the awkward teenager to a more suave, sophisticated young man, I could still relate to him. He still kept an innate sense of Billy-ness that I connected to. And when he lost his powers, my heart ached for him. But he was still Billy. A little sadder, a little older, a little more jaded, yes. But I still loved him.

And then he left in what I consider the worst send off of the entire show. It's the reason we rate everything on a scale of fish... because it was the singular event that made the least sense in the entire series up to that point. And now I know WHY they did it that way and it makes me hate it even more. When we finally get to that point in Zeo, I'm sure I'll cry. Because he deserved BETTER. Billy and David Yost both deserved more than what was given to them.

Power Rangers has changed my life. Billy made me love Power Rangers. David Yost made me love Billy. And I hope he knows how much his fans still, to this day, love and appreciate him.

No comments:

Post a Comment